Yesterday I wrote about my never wanting to be my age, and in the spirit of gratitude, one thing I am grateful for is that my wants, desires, and aspirations have changed, and dare I say, matured, with age.
When I was younger, I wanted material possessions, and now, what I desire most is self-acceptance, confidence, and self-assuredness.
However, when I wanted material possessions like designer handbags, clothes, and cars, a part of it was definitely about stature and popularity, but I think another part of it may have been freedom. I really wanted to drive and have freedom and my independence from a very young age.
Now, I desire less for material possessions, however, my desire for freedom still burns very strongly. Money symbolizes freedom to me, so the idea of having a lot of money, so much money that I never have to think or worry about money, excites me very much as having that much money seems extremely soothing and comforting. I know things change and nothing is permanent, but being a billionaire, I would imagine does give a certain sense of security. For example, Mark Zuckerberg has so much money, that in 2013, he opted for an annual salary of $1, meaning that’s how little he needs money or that’s how little he is consumed with getting more money for himself.
But then, I see graphics like this and am reminded that according to many people, true happiness comes from within and not from a person, place, thing, or how much money I have.
So, now for today’s gratitude as it is day 10 of 10 days of gratitude!
Gratitude Day 10
- At night, sometimes, on the way home from a friend’s house, I drive by these tents covered with tarps, where a group of what I presume is homeless people live. They are located right by a highway entrance in a pretty central location, but they are tucked in the middle of a few trees. I’ve driven past them when the temperatures are freezing and sometimes they have a fire burning, and I can see clothes hanging on a clothes line. That puts a lot of things in perspective for me and makes me feel sad and grateful at the same time.
- I want more
- Feelings aren’t facts
- Feelings change
- Feelings pass
- It’s day 62 of my content challenge
- I got my period today
- Getting my period causes hormonal changes and helps me to understand why I have been feeling emotionally and physically more sensitive than usual
- Took a bubble bath this evening
- Going to NYC this weekend
- I got my period at beginning of week and not during the conference this weekend #cramps
- My bed
- I’m okay
- I learn something new every day
- The color red
- Pens and pencils
- Leopard print